Corinthian Columns

Corinthian Columns dating back to About Hj. 424 (1033 CE), carved with limestone, stucco, formed and mounted on stone.


The remains of Corinthian column capitals placed in courtyard between al-Aqsa and Islamic Museum.


A column capital made from local limestone cut from a quarry in the Jerusalem region. It appears that the carving of the capital into its complete form was never finished, or that it was carved in this manner with the aim of economising on time and cost. The style of this capital imitates the capitals in the Abbasid Corinthian style that were used in the restoration of al-Aqsa Mosque in the period of the Abbasid caliph, al-Mahdi (r. Hj. 158-69 / 775-85 CE), following the earthquake that tore away large parts of the mosque.


The remains of Corinthian columns near the base of al-Fakhariyya minaret in the south-western corner of al-Aqsa compound.

Become a contributor! :)

Like to write, edit or taking pictures?

Or we will appreciate a simple like as well.