The mosque of abi Darda is a small mosque within Damascus Citadel where the tomb of abi Darda a prominent companion of prophet Muhammad is located. It is a small prayer hall built into the northern walls of the Damascus Citadel. The origins of the mosque and tomb are unclear. Archaeologist Carl Watzinger dated the tomb to 1733, suggesting it was built during the Ottoman period as a cenotaph. It seems unlikely that the original tomb, if it was in Damascus to begin with, would have survived through the often turbulent Seljuq, Ayyubid and Mamluk periods. The small mosque is only open during regular prayer times, and the tomb is located on the eastern side of the prayer hall.
circa 650 CE
Grave of abi Darda, located within Mosque of abi Darda in Damascus Citadel, Syria