al-Yatim Mosque (Tel Shiloh)

Located on the south side of Tel Shiloh, about 20m from the hillside, is an Ottoman period Muslim structure called Mosque of the Orphans (Arabic: Jameh el Yetimi). It is dated to the early middle ages, and is one of the two mosques in Tel Shiloh, the other being the Jameh al-Arb'een (Mosque of the Forty). It's name may have refered to the biblical tradition of Ichabod's orphan birth after the death of Eli as mentioned in 1 Samuel 4:19-21.

circa 350 CE

Jamia el Yeteim is a low building of stone, roughly squared, with a door on the north. It has a mihrab on the south, and is divided into two aisles, being rather longer east and west than north and south. There is an outer stairway to the roof. South of this is a small birkeh with steps to it".

circa 350 CE

Ruins of Shiloh (Seilun), 1898-1914: American Colony photo, Matson Photograph collection; Library of Congress. The large oak tree in the picture has been removed.

circa 350 CE

Western exposure of the middle ages Islamic structure over the ancient mosaic floors.

circa 350 CE

The mosaics included several Greek inscriptions, one of them refers to the place as the "village of Shiloh".

circa 350 CE

Archaeologists exposed Byzantine mosaics under the Mosque that may have belonged to earlier churche, one built in the 6th century CE and the lower one in the 4th century CE. The lower level may have been built over the ruins of an ancient synagogue.

Top
Become a contributor! :)

Like to write, edit or taking pictures?

Or we will appreciate a simple like as well.