Qasr al-Hallabat Mosque

The remains of the Qusayr al-Hallabat Mosque (مسجد قصر الحلابات), also known as the Masjid al-Qasr (Mosque of the Castle, مسجد القصر) small in scale, it measures 10.70 by 11.80 meters and is constructed of layered limestone. Inside, two arching riwaqs divide the mosque into three sections. A rounded molding extends the perimeter of the space at the height of 2.10 meters. Similar to Qusayr 'Amra and Hammam as-Sarah, three tunnel vaults support the roof of the structure. Encircling the mosque from the north, west, and east stood a 3.30-meter wide portico.

Overview

The remains of the mosque at Qusayr al-Hallabat stand approximately 1400 meters east of the palace. By the eighth century, the Umayyad caliph Hisham ibn Abd al-Malik ordered the Roman structures to be demolished in order to redevelop this military site and its neighboring territory to become one of the grandest of all Umayyad desert complexes.

Architecture

circa 730 CE

Small in scale, it measures 10.70 by 11.80 meters and is constructed of layered limestone. Inside, two arching riwaqs divide the mosque into three sections. A rounded molding extends the perimeter of the space at the height of 2.10 meters. Similar to Qusayr 'Amra and Hammam as-Sarah, three tunnel vaults support the roof of the structure. Encircling the mosque from the north, west, and east stood a 3.30-meter wide portico.

Gallery

See Also

References

Top