Maragheh observatory (Persian: رصدخانهٔ مراغه) also known as Khajeh Nasir Observatory, was an institutionalized astronomical observatory which was established in 1259 CE under the patronage of the Ilkhanid Hulagu and the directorship of Nasir al-Din al-Tusi, a Persian scientist and astronomer. Located in the heights west of Maragheh, East Azerbaijan Province, Iran, it was once considered one of the most prestigious observatories in the world. The observatory served as a model for later observatories including the 15th-century Ulugh Beg Observatory in Samarkand, the 16th-century Taqi al-Din observatory in Istanbul, and the 18th-century Jai Singh observatory in Jaipur.
|c. 1259 CE||Remnants of the observatory's main instrument, protected under a dome. It is not known with certainty until when it had been active. It turned into ruins as a result of frequent earthquakes and lack of funding by the state.||N/A|
|c. 1259 CE||To save the installation from further destruction, Cultural Heritage Organization of Iran built a dome-framed shelter and it plans to hold an exhibit of astronomical devices used at Maragheh observatory.||N/A|
|c. 1259 CE||Architechtural drawing||N/A|
|c. 1259 CE||The observatory during the 1910s, the set of units found at the hill level of the observatory was as follows : Central Tower, platform Staircase, materials, what remains of the interior decoration,||N/A|
|c. 1259 CE||Tubes and cavities of glazed pottery in excavations of the hill of Maraghe observatory||N/A|
|c. 1259 CE||An image from the book Zij-e Ilkhani written by Khajeh Nasir al-Din al-Tusi shows the Khajeh Nasir Tusi Group or Maragheh Observatory Group at work in the Observatory. The major members of the group headed by Khajeh Nasir were Moayed Aldin Orozi, Fakher Aldin Maraghi, Fakher Aldin Ekhlati, Najm Aldin Dabiran.||N/A|
|Latest Update: April 09, 2015|