Southern Wall of Temple Mount

The Southern Wall is a wall at the southern end of the Haram al-Sharif (Temple Mount) and the former southern side of the Second Temple.

circa 500 BCE

Southern Wall of the Temple Mount

The Southern Wall is a wall at the southern end of the Temple Mount and the former southern side of the Second Temple (also called Herod's Temple) in Jerusalem. It was built during King Herod's expansion of the Temple Mount platform southward on to the Ophel.

circa 780 CE

North-east exposure of Al-Aqsa Mosque along the southern wall of the Temple Mount, in the Old City of Jerusalem. Considered to be the third holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina. The small studs to the left are remains of Corinthian Columns. The lead dome of the mosque is also partially visible.

circa 780 CE

Ophel, looking towards the Solomon's Stables and the Southern Wall. The Ophel is part of the Eastern Hill that sits between the City of David and the Temple Mount. The word “ophel” means “swell or rise” and refers to a higher part of the landscape. The Jebusites built their citadel there, as did David, who also added a lot more fortification to this northern part of his city.

circa 780 CE

This is believed to be the location of original mosque of Omer, initially a small wooden structure was built here, along the southern wall of Haram al-Sharif (Temple Mount) and eastern wall of al-Aqsa.

circa 780 CE

The remains of Umayyad Palace, tt was obviously the seat of the Umayyad caliph whenever he visited Jerusalem. This palace measures 96 x 84 m. and is surrounded by a three meter-thick protective wall. pparently constructed during the reign of the Umayyad caliph El-Walid I (705-715) and is similar to other fortified Umayyad palaces on the fringe of the desert in Transjordan and Syria.

circa 780 CE

Interior of the southern tower (believed to the built by Fatimids) provided direct access to the Haram al-Sharif area from the residential and adminstrative area along the southern wall.

circa 780 CE

Hadrian's inscription, the upside down inscription is from the Roman statue of Emperor Antoninus Pius (138-161 CE) that the Bordeaux Pilgrim recorded seeing when he was on the Temple Mount in 333 CE. The statue was destroyed by the Byzantine Christians after 333 CE, the Jews in 614 CE. This reused block is the only part found so far of the two statues (one of Hadrian, and this one of Antoninus Pius).

circa 780 CE

The Huldah Gates, are the two sets of now-blocked gates in the Southern Wall of the Temple Mount. The western set is a double arched, and the eastern is a triple arched gate. Other than two Huldah gates there's another crusader era gate, which is now blocked.

circa 780 CE

The crusader era gate (now walled up), was cut by the Knights Templar and is not original to the Temple Mount. The Crusaders used this gate to access the caverns below the Temple Mount, where they kept their horses. The gate was blocked shut by Saladin in 1187 when the Muslims returned.

circa 780 CE

The al-Aqsa Mosque Library (background), originally it was built by crusaders as an annex building and later it was converted in to a small prayer area after Salah al-Din. It was called White mosque due to the colour of the stone used, it was majorly used by women. Recently it was converted in to a Library.

circa 1278 CE

al-Fakhariyya minaret is located on the sout-west corner of Masjid il-Aqsa. It was built under the supervision of Sharif al-Din Abd al-Rahman on the orders of Mamluk sulkat Lajin, and was named after Fakhar al-Din al-Khalili father of building supervisor. It is built in traditional Syrian style. At 23-meters high it is the shortest minaret inside Masjid al-Aqsa and stands without any foundations. The top of the minaret was damaged in the earthquake that hit Jerusalem in 1922 AD (1340 AH) and was repaired by the Islamic Supreme Council which complemented it with a dome. It was later covered with lead sheets by the Hashemite Fund for the Restoration of Al-Aqsa Mosque and Dome of the Rock. It has a northern entrance. It can be reached by means of a stone ladder, which is located in the south-western corner at the junction of the Maghreb Mosque and the Women’s Mosque.

circa 780 CE

The 210 feet wide southern stairs are a combination of smooth stone slabs and carved bedrock and alternate between a 35 inch run (the length of the step) and a 12 inch run, except for the first and last three steps, which are all 12 inches. These stairs led the pilgrims to the southern Temple Gates which led to the underground tunnels eventually emerging on to the surface of the Temple platform.

circa 780 CE

Located near the south-eastern corner of the Haram it is known as the Mehrab e Daud (King David).

Top
Like Us on Facebook!

A small favour!
We will really appreciate it! :)