Nimrod Fortress (Qal'at al-Subeiba)

The fortress was built around 1229 by Al-Aziz 'Uthman, nephew of Saladin and younger son of Al-Adil I, to preempt an attack on Damascus by the armies of the Sixth Crusade. It was named Qal'at al-Subeiba, "Castle of the Large Cliff" in Arabic. The fortress was further expanded to contain the whole ridge by 1230.

circa 1229 CE

An arial view of the fortress, National Park, Syria/Israel. The fortress overlooks the deep, narrow valley that separates Mount Hermon from the rest of the Golan Heights, the road linking the Galilee with Damascus, and the former Crusader town of Banias. In 1260 the Mongols captured the castle, dismantled some of its defenses and left their ally, the son of Al-Aziz 'Uthman, in charge of it and the nearby town of Banias.

Amit Erez

circa 1229 CE

Panoramic view of the upper keep at the eastern end of the complex. Known as the Oz Tower, it is actually a fortress within a fortress, and is elevated in relation to the rest of the fortress and controls all its parts and gates. Along with the remains of luxurious halls, water pools and many rooms it may have housed the governor's residence as well.

circa 1229 CE

The modern day entrance through the north-western tower. At the end of the 13th century, following the Muslim conquest of the port city of Acre (Akko) and the end of Crusader rule in the Holy Land, the fortress lost its strategic value and fell into disrepair. The fortress was ruined by an earthquake in the 18th century.

circa 1229 CE

The Inscription of Baybars commemorating and glorifying the extensive construction carried out in the fortress during the rule of Malik Sultan Baybars. The Ottoman Turks conquered the land in 1517 and used the fortress as a luxury prison for Ottoman nobles. The fortress was abandoned later in the 16th century and local shepherds and their flocks were the sole guests within its walls.

circa 1229 CE

Arabic inscription above the western gate, mentioning the construction date 1230 CE and builder al-Aziz Uthman.

circa 1229 CE

Remains of the south-western tower, originally installed during the reign of Baybars and Bilik circa 1260-1277 CE, is one of the several rectangular and semi-circular towers roofed with pointed cross-arches.

circa 1229 CE

A large cistern was hewn in the rock beneath and a narrow staircase connected the towers different stories. A 27-meter-long stepped, secret passage led from the gate tower to the outside. It would have enabled the defenders of the fortress to launch a surprise attack on besiegers, or if necessary, to flee from it.

circa 1229 CE

One of the at least six known Lion reliefs depicting the royal symbol of the Mamluk Sultan of Baybars (of Egypt and Syria), who ruled the region from the years 1260 CE to 1277 CE.

Top
Like Us on Facebook!

A small favour!
We will really appreciate it! :)