Mosques on Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif)

This page attempts to enlist all the mosques in the Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif) precint.

circa 700 CE

North-east exposure of al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount, in the Old City of Jerusalem. Considered to be the third holiest site in Islam after Mecca and Medina. The small studs to the left are remains of Corinthian Columns. The lead dome of the mosque is also partially visible. Renovations, repairs and additions were undertaken in the later centuries by the Ayyubids, Mamluks, Ottomans, the Supreme Muslim Council, and Jordan.

al-Buraq Mosque, located at the western flank of the Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif) beside the Morocco Gate. This small structure, on the south-west corner of the al-Aqsa compound is believed to be the place where prophet Muhammad tied the Buraq

circa 700 CE

The facade of the Masjid al-Qibli, although believed to be situated on the site marked by the second caliph, it may not be an exact location. The axis of the mosque is uncertain, and traditional location of the current structure dates back to the thirteenth century. The central axis of the main al-Aqsa mosque has shifted several times during the centuries.

circa 700 CE

Magharba Mosque was situated inside the Moroccans' Gate at Haram al-Sharif, it has been converted into a Islamic Museum in the recent years and no longer functions as a mosque. Now it houses exhibits from different Muslim eras.

Modern entrance to the Masjid al-Buraq, from within the Haram al-Sharif. The structure is most widely said to have been built by King Herod as part of his extension of the platform of the Temple Mount southward onto the Ophel. The structure has been called Solomon's Stables since Crusader times as a historical composite. 'Solomon's' refers to the First Temple built on the site, while the 'stables' refers to the functional usage of the space by the Crusaders in the time of Baldwin II (King of Jerusalem 1118-1131 CE).

circa 1278-1400 CE

Entrance to the basement of al-Aqsa, now most commonly known al-Aqsa al-Qadeem, was originally an underground arched access tunnel leading from the western Hulda Gates in the southern wall, up to the Temple Mount Platform.

Top
Become a contributor! :)

Like to write, edit or taking pictures?

Or we will appreciate a simple like as well.