This page attempts to enlist all the mosques in the city of Medina. This page attempts to includes all the historic and modern mosques, though some of the older and historic mosques no longer exist.
Why we're running ads?
The Madain Project is a very unique resource of Abrahamic History & Archaeology; reaching more than half a million readers a month. Until February 2021 all the operational and management costs were being paid by the volunteers working on the project. But, the increase in the userbase and the overall costs of servers and other services and equipment that are needed to remain live forced us to look for other avenues of inflow.
We apologise about it.
We apologise for the inconvenience that ads bring to your reading experience; we're working on a membership model for the Madain Project which will provide you with an absolute ads-free reading.
Right now we need your help. Please Donate.
As of now, we rely on donations from patrons like you to supplement the funding and keep the Madain Project website up and running. Your contribution will help us cover the costs of maintaining and improving our website, creating new educational content, and reaching even more enthusiasts around the world.
APA (7th Ed.)
Mosques in Medina. Madainproject.com. (2022). Editors of the Madain Project. Retrieved on March 23, 2023, from https://madainproject.com/mosques_in_medina
Intext citation: ("Mosques in Medina - Madain Project (en)", 2022)
MLA (8th Ed.)
Mosques in Medina. Madainproject.com, 2022, https://madainproject.com/mosques_in_medina. Accessed 23 March 2023.
Intext citation: ("Mosques in Medina - Madain Project (en)")
"Mosques in Medina." 2022. Madain Project. https://madainproject.com/mosques_in_medina.
Intext citation: ("Mosques in Medina - Madain Project (en)")
How to copy: Click the citation text to copy it to the clipboard.
Note: Always review your references and make any necessary corrections before using. Pay attention to names, capitalization, and dates. If you need to mention authors, you can add "the Editors of the Madain Project".
Use a citation tool.
The Madain Project owns the copyright to the Madain Project (en) including (i) the artwork and design of the www.madainproject.com website (Madain Project Website); and (ii) all electronic text and image files, audio and video clips on the Madain Project Website (MP Material) excluding material which is owned by other individuals or organizations as indicated.
Users who would like to make commercial use of Madain Project Material must contact us with a formal written request (i) identifying the MP Material to be used; and (ii) describing the proposed commercial use. Madain Project will review such requests and provide a written response. The Madain Project reserves the right to charge a fee for any approved commercial use of Madain Project Materials.
According to non-Muslim scholars, Islam started during the lifetime of prophet Muhammad in the early 7th century (circa 610 CE), and so did architectural components such as the mosque. In this case, either the Mosque of the Companions in the Eritrean city of Massawa, or the Quba Mosque in the Hejazi city of Medina (the first structure built by Muhammad upon his emigration from Mecca in 622 CE), would be the first mosque that was built in the history of Islam.
After the Quba Mosque, prophet Muhammad went on to establish another mosque in Medina, which is now known as al-Masjid an-Nabawi (The Prophet's Mosque). prophet Muhammad participated in the construction of the mosque himself and this structed became the social and cultural focal point of the ancient city of Medina. From then onwards a large number of mosques were built across the entire city, and more were added as the city expanded outwards.
circa 709 CE
The Masjid as-Shajarah (مسجد الشجرة), also known as the Miqat Dhu al-Ḥulayfah, is located in the area of Abyar Ali, west of Wadi al-Aqiq some twelve kilometers from the Prophet's Mosque. It is one of the Miqaat stations (places where ihram is put on), situated in Dhul Hulaifah. It is the place where pilgrims coming from Medina wishing to perform Umrah or Hajj enter into ihram before they set for Mecca. The current mosque building was built during the reign of King Fahd. It is in the shape of a square of an area of approximately 6,000 square meters (65,000 ft2) inside a 36,000 m2 (388,000 ft2) square-shaped enclosure.
The Masjid Ijabah (مسجد الإجابة) also known as Masjid Bani Muawiya or Masjid al-Mubahalah is approx 385 meters to the north of Jannat ul-Baqi. It is known as Masjid e Ijabah (the mosque of approval/acceptance) and is approx. 600 meters away from Masjid al-Nabawi in the Bani Muawiya district. This particular mosque derives its significance from an account mentioned in a Hadith of Sahih Muslim, relating that once Prophet Muhammad passed the Bani Muawiyah Mosque, entered there and offered two rakats, and his companions also followed him.
The al-Fatah Mosque (مسجد الفتح) is the most significant one of the Seven Mosques, situated at the site of the Battle of Ahzab. Largest of the seven mosques the masjid al-Fath is situated on a small hilltop near the western side of Sal’ mountain. It was first built when Umar ibn Abd Al-Aziz was governor of Madinah in the years 87 to 93 after Hijrah (705 CE to 711 CE). It was rebuilt in 1179 CE (575 Hj.) again. It was then rebuilt again during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Abd Al-Majid I in 1851 CE. The modern structure is nearly square with a roofed hall towards the south fronted by a small courtyard towards the north. A large flight of stairs leads to the entrance, situated in the eastern wall of the courtyard.
The Masjid al-Manaratain (مسجد المنارتين), mosque of the two towers or minarets, (also known as the Masjid e Bani Dinaar) originally a crude basalt structure it was rebuilt and expanded during the reign of Fahad bin Abdul 'Aziz in 2003 CE (1424 Hj.). It is situated on the main highway going towards Mecca near al-Anbariya. Another reason for the name is attributed to its location; because it is located in between two mountains which were dubbed as two towers.
The Masjid al-Nabawi (مسجد النبوي) often called the Prophet's Mosque, is a historic mosque situated in the city of al-Madinah, Saudi Arabia. As the final resting place of Prophet Muhammad, it is considered the second holiest site in the world after Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, (al-Aqsa in Jerusalem comes in at third). It is a major pilgrimage site and many people who perform the Hajj also go on to al-Madinah before or after Hajj to visit the mosque.
Salman Farsi Mosque
The mosque of Salman Farsi (مسجد سلمان الفارسي), another one of the Masajid Saba', is located south of the al-Fath Mosque, 20 meters from the base of Sal' mountain. It is named after Salman, the companion of the Prophet Muhammad who recommended digging a trench to fortify the city during Ghazwa-i Ahzab. It has one hall at 7 meters long and 2 meters wide. Originally built when Umar ibn Abd Al-Aziz was governor of Madinah. In 575 H (1179 CE) it was rebuilt on the orders of minister Said Al-Deen Abu Al-Haija. It was rebuilt again during the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Abd Al-Majid I.
The site of Masjid Quba (مَـسْـجِـد قُـبَـاء), back then a small town on the outskirts of Medina, was the last stop made by the prophet Muhammad during his Hijrah from Mecca before reaching the city of Medina. It's construction was initiated by prophet Muhammad and was completed by the companions, it was left in ruins by 1905 CE, rebuilt as a simple structure and renovated by the mid of the twentieth century. Depending on whether the Mosque of the Companions in the Eritrean city of Massawa is older or not, it may be the first mosque in the world that dates to the lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad, 7th century CE.
The Umar Mosque (مسجد عمر), at the site of Ghazwa Khandaq, is traditionally believed to be located at the spot of the command post of Umer ibn Khattab was pitched during the Battle of the trench. It is one of the Seven Mosques (المساجد السبعة) or Sab'u Masajid, a complex of six small historic and often visited mosques in the city of Medina, Saudi Arabia. In contrast to the other mosques this mosque is not situated on elevated gound rather in the valley below, and its look is corresponding to al-Fath Mosque, thus it is considered that they were built and renovated at the same time. The small mosque covers and area of about fifty square meters and resonates the construction style of other mosques in the area with a small roofed prayer hall fronted by an open courtyard.
The Masjid e Qiblatain (مسجد القبلتين) is among the earliest mosques that dates to the time of Muhammad, along with Quba Mosque and al-Masjid al-Nabawi. The name, Mosque of the two Qiblas, refers to one of the most notable and important events in the history if islam, the changing of Qibla (Tehweel Qibla) from Jerusalem to Mecca. This event was directed through a revelation about changing the Qiblah and bowing towards Kaaba in Mecca during a Zohar (noon) prayer to prophet Muhammad. The instruction to change the direction of the Qiblah is recorded in Surah al-Baqarah, verse 144.
abu Bakr al-Siddique Mosque
The abu-Bakr al-Siddique Mosque (مسجد ابو بكر) is a small mosque in Medina. It is situated some 450 meters to the south-west of the Masjid Nabawi's Bab as-Salam and some forty meters north-west of the Masjid al-Ghamamah. According to a tradition prophet Muhammad prayed Eid prayer at this site, and since the first caliph abu Bakr continued this tradition during his era, the small mosque was attributed to him. Although, it is not certain, but it was most likely built during the reign of Umar ibn Abdulaziz to mark the location of the tradition. It is a small square mosque with one minaret and a large dome that covers nearly the entire roof. The entrance to the mosque is from the east. The current structure most likely dates back to the Ottoman era, with modern renocations during the Saudi era.
Ali ibn Abu Talib Mosque
The Mosque of Ali ibn abu Talib (مسجد علي بن أبي طالب) is a small memorial mosque at the site where the battle of Ahzaab was fought. It is believed to mark the sport from where Ali, the paternal cousine of prophet Muhammad, was commanding his battalion. The small mosque shares its architectural style with several other smaller mosques situated at the site, collectively known as the "Seven Mosques". A large flight of stairs leads to the main building of the Mosque, which consistes of a small prayer hall fronted by a samll courtyard. It is located east of the Fatimah Mosque on an elevated ridge. It is 8.5 meters long and 6.5 meters wide. It has one small step. It is likely to have been built and renovated with al-Fath Mosque. It is narrated that Ali joined the Battle of the Trench here.
Abu Ayub Ansari Mosque
The Masjid abu Ayub Ansari (مسجد أبو أيوب الأنصاري) was situated at the approximate location where once the house of prophet Muhammad's companion (Sahabi) abu Ayub stood. It was located towards the north-eastern direction from the House of Aiesha which later became the Tomb of Prophet Muhammad. This area was incorporated in the Masjid al-Nabawi during the second Saudi Expansion and today comprises the southern Sahat (plaza) area.
The Masjid Shaikhain (مسجد الشيخين), literally meaning the Mosque of the Two people/sardars, marks the spot where according to the tradition Prophet prayed salah on the eve of the battle of Uhud in the year 625 CE (Islamic date is believed to be the 14th of Sha’ban 3 Hj.). It's name points towards a tradition of a wresteling match between two boys (Rafe'y and Jundub) before Ghazwa-i uhud to prove their worthiness to participate in battle despite their young ages. The prophetic biography notes that when the prophet Muhammad offered prayer here at ash-Shaikhain, he also met some locals and denied meeting some. The mosque of Shaikhain is located some two kilometers directly north of of the Masjid Nabawi and some 1.5 kilometers south of the Sayyed ash-Shohada where the Battle of Uhud was fought.
The al-Fasa'h mosque (مسجد الفسح) is said to have been built where prophet Muhammad is believed to have offered noon prayer (Zohar) on the day of battle of Uhud, after the fighting was over. Not much remains of this historic mosque, the current remains are undated though it is likely that this was also first constructed during the time of Umar ibn Abdulaziz. Today, only some of the wall structure and mehrab remains on east, south and west and is enclosed within iron railings. It is situated almost 4.5 kilometers north of the Masjid al-Nabawi, inline with the Shaikhain Mosque and ash-Shohada Mosque.
The Masjid al-Mustarah (مسجد المستراح) also known as Masjid Bani Haritha (مسجد بني حارثة), is located where according to the tradition the Muslim army camped on its way back to Medina from the Battle of Uhud. Whenever the Prophet used to visit the grave of Hamza and the other martyrs of Uhud he used to take rest here. The mosque was renovated during the time of the king Fahd, and the place was expanded to 491 square meters wide. Houses belong to the members of Bani Haritsah tribe are located nearby the mosque. It is also located north of the Masjid Nabawi and close to Masjid Shaikhain.
Umar ibn al-Khattab Mosque
The Masjid Umar ibn al-Khattab (مسجد عمر بن الخطاب), was most likely built by Shams al-Din Mohammed bin Ahmed Slaoui. This small mosque, according to tradition, is believed to mark the spot where the second caliph of Islam Umar ibn Khattab met prophet Muhammad and was blessed. Today it is flanked by modern urban development projects, large commecial plazas and hotels. It is located some 160 meters directly to the north of Masjid al-Ghamama. The small mosque has only one minaret and one dome, but recently its architecture has changed significantly due to the constructions around it and is usually inaccessible.
Fatima al-Zahra Mosque
The Mosque of Fatima al-Zahra (مسجد فاطمة الزهراء), also known as Mus'ad ibn Mo'az Mosque, is one of the "Seven Mosques" situated at the site of the Ahzab. It is the smallest of the group and measures 4 meters by 3 meters. It has one small step. It has a similar structure to other mosques in the area and may have been built during the Ottoman era, most likely during the reign of Sultan Abd Al-Majid I in 1851.
abi Bakr al-Siddique Mosque
The abu-Bakr Mosque (مسجد أبي بكر) was a small memorial mosque built at the purported site of the Battle of Ahzab. The mosque no longer exists as it was razed to make space available for the parking lot at the site.
'Atban ibn Malik Mosque
The Mosque of 'Atban ibn Malik (مسجد عتبان بن مالك) is located at the site where prophet Muhammad offered Salah and supplicated on the request of one of his companions Atban ibn Malik who was blind. The site was the location of his (Atban ibn Malik's) house. It was situated approx. 60km south of al-Jum'a Mosque.
Facade of the Masjid al-Ghamamah (مسجد الغمامة), situated close to the Prophet's Mosque, is one of the oldest mosques in Medina. According to tradition it is believed to be located in the place where the prophet Muhammad performed an Eid prayer in the year 631 CE. The mosque was built during the reign of the Caliph Umar bin Abdul Aziz between the hijri calendar of 86 to 93, and renovated by the Sultan Hasan bin Muhammad bin Qalawan Ash-Shalihi in 1340 during the Sharifate of Mecca era.
Ali ibn Abi Talib Mosque
Masjid Ali ibn abi Talib (مسجد علي), it is situated 290 meters from the Masjid al-Nabawi and 122 meters from Masjid Ghamamah. The tradition behind its atribution to Ali ibn abi Talib is not precisely known.
Imam al-Bukhari Mosque
Masjid Imam al-Bukhari (مسجد الإمام البخاري) is said to have been built where Imam bukhari stayed during his visit to Medina, but this is highly unlikely.
The remains of Masjid Misbah (مسجد مصباح), also known as Masjid bani Harithah, according to the tradition is the first ever masjid where Rasool Allah Prayed fajr in as he reached Madina. Seen here the mehrab in the qiblah wall. Current structure dates back to the Ottoman era circa 1850 CE.
Masjid-e Sajdah (مسجد سجدة), also known as the abu Zar al-Ghafari Mosque today, renovated in 1421 Hj./2000 CE it is situated 900 meters north of Masjid an-Nabawi. According to a tradition it is called Masjid-e Sajdah because prophet Muhammad prostrated due to gratitude as he receieved news of Salwat from angel Jibraeel.
Thaniyat ul-Wada' Mosque
The Tahniyat ul Wada'a Mosque (مسجد ثنية الوداع), commemorates a historic event during the course of Hijrah. According to tradition it was believed to mark the site where prophet Muhammad and Abu Bakr were greeted when they reached close to Medina. The prophetic biography narrates that a large number of Medinians came out of their houses to welcome the prophet and when he arrived young kids greeted him with a Nasheed poem. Also the valley of Wada' was the place where people would walk with their loved ones who were travelling and say goodbye. This mosque no longer stands, it was razed to make space for the commercial buildings and hotels to accommodate the burgeoning number of pilgrims. It was also known as the Mosque of Bani Khudara since it was located in the neighbourhoor of a sub-tribe of al-Khazarj, called Banu Khudara.
Ibn Shibah narrated on the authority of a sheikh from among the Ansar that the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, prayed in the mosque of Banu Khadara, and he shaved his head there.
Masjid-e al-Saqiya (مسجد السقيا), near Bir al-Sakiye (Well of Saqiye), this is where prophet Muhammad camped as he returned from Battle of Badr. The mosque has three domes, without minaret, originally built during Ottoman era, it was recently renovated by Fahad bin Abdul Aziz in 1423 Hj.
Bani Haram Mosque
The Masjid Bani Haram (مسجد بني حرام), located in al-Fath, west of Jabl-e Sila', it situated where the dwellings of Bani Haram of al-Khazarj tribe were located. According to tradition prophet Muhammad prayed at this site when the food was prolifirated by him while digging the trench.
The Masjid e Jumu'a, Friday Mosque, (مسجد الجمعة) is according to the tradition the first mosque where the first Jumua' prayer was offered by Muslims after the Migration. Initially it was used only for the Friday prayers and remained close for others. Located on As Salam Road, Medina it was recently renovated from an older and much smaller Ottoman structure.
The Masjid e Ambariye (مسجد العنبرية), also known as the Hamidiye Mosque, was built as a part of the Hejaz Railway project next to the el-Muazzem Railway Station. It was built in 1908 by the Ottoman Sultan Abdülhamid II and is one of the few historic buildings which were not destroyed by the Saudi government. It is named after the Anbariya Gate, next to which the mosque was located.
This is an old picture of Masjid Al-Fadhikh (مسجد الفضيخ) also known as the Masjid e Shams (Sun Mosque) was built at the location where prophet Muhammad offered Salah during the battle with Banu Nadir in Medina. It was extensively renovated during the third and fourth decade and stood until late 1960s, now there is a small cemetery at the location. Also the mosque is called al-Fadhikh, as it is a beverage made from palm fruit which is not ripe, and the verses containing the prohibition of alcohalic beverages are believed to have been revealed here as well. It is situated approx. 3.5 kilometers from Masjid al-Nabawi and aprrox. 1 kilometer from Masjid-e Quba.
The main courtyard of Jameh al-Khandaq (جامع الخندق) or Masjid Ahzaab, the latest mosque built at the site of Ghazwa Khandaq. This mosque lies at the foot or base of the Sal’ hill, on its western side. It signifies the scene of the Battle of Trench, or Khandaq, which is about three kilometers from the Prophet’s Mosque. Established in 2007, the mosque is surrounded by Jabl Sil'a from three sides and is accessible from north only. Madinah’s battle of the trench marked the consolidation of the Prophet’s tenure when he was faced with an attack on Madinah by an alliance of Jewish and non-Muslim Arab tribes.
The facade and the main entrance to the Masjid e Areesh (مسجد العريش), situated at the site where during the Battle of Badr the command post of prophet Muhammad was pitched. The historic Battle of Badr (غزوة بدر), fought on Tuesday, 13 March 624 CE (17 Ramadan, 2 Hj.), was a key battle in the early days of Islam and a turning point in Muhammad's struggle with his opponents among the Quraish in Mecca.
The as-Sabaq Mosque (مسجد السبق), was a mosque located in Medina, south of al-Masjid an-Nabawi. The place was originally a place for horse racing during the time of the prophet Muhammad. There is an account in Hadith of al-Bukhari, that the prophet participating in a horse racing from Al-Hayfa to Tsaniyatul Wada' around six or seven miles, and from Tsaniyatul Wada' to the Bani Zuraiq Mosque for around one mile.
The al-Rayah Mosque (مسجد الراية), mosque of the flag, or Dzubab Mosque, is a small mosque historic situated on top of Mount Dzubab (Dzubab means "flies"), not far from Mount Sala'. According to a tradition the command post (tent/shade) was pitched for Prophet Muhammad here, hence it was named as Al-Rayah, which means battle flag. The mosque was first built during the reign of Umar ibn Abdul Aziz, with a small square with an area of 61 square meters and a height of 5 meters.