This page attempts to enlist all the known mosques in the city of Jerusalem
circa 690 CE
al-Buraq Mosque (مسجد البراق), located at the western flank of the Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif) beside the Morocco Gate. The mosque (windowed structure to the left) is located north of the Bab al-Magharibah. The chain gate minaret is also visible to the right in the background. al-Buraq Mosque is a subterranean barrel vault built next to al-Buraq Wall (Western Wall). The mosque is still open for prayers as worshipers use this entrance located in al-Aqsa’s western corridor.
circa 640 CE
Masjid al-Omer (مسجد عمر) inside the Haram al-Sharif. This is the original purported location where according to tradition Omar ibn al-Khattab offered Salah when he arrived in the city after it surrendered to Muslim forces in 640 CE. Today it is used as a wherehouse for the al-Aqsa management and administration.
circa 690 CE
al-Aqsa Mosque (المسجد الأقصى), the mosque was originally a small prayer house built by the Rashidun caliph Umar, but was rebuilt and expanded by the Umayyad caliph Abd al-Malik and finished by his son al-Walid in 705 CE. It was first built 40 years after al-Masjid al-Haram in Mecca. The current construction of the al-Aqsa Mosque is dated to the early Umayyad period of rule in Palestine. According to several Muslim scholars, including Mujir ad-Din, al-Suyuti, and al-Muqaddasi, the mosque was reconstructed and expanded by the caliph Abd al-Malik in 690 along with the Dome of the Rock.
circa 690 CE
Masjid al-Marwan (مسجد المرواني), also known as he Mussala al-Marwani, and Solomon's Stables, modern entrance to the structure, from within the Haram al-Sharif as seen from the Temple Mount platform close to the eastern wall. It is a massive subterranean hall located in the south-eastern corner of the al Aqsa mosque. It extends over four and a half acres of land and can cater for approximately 6000 worshippers at once. In December 1996 the new mosque was officially inaugurated as el-Marwani Mosque.
circa 1193 CE
Mosque of Omer (الجامع العمري), next to the Church of Holy Sepulchre, in the walled city of Jerusalem. Originally built as a small wooden structure in front of the Holy Sepulcher in circa 1180 CE, it was renovated several times over the centuries, current bulding dates back to the middle of nineteenth century. The current Mosque of Omar was built in its current shape by the Ayyubid Sultan Al-Afdal ibn Salah ad-Din in 1193 to commemorate the prayer of the caliph Omar. The minaret of the Masjid Umar is identical to the minaret of Khanqah al-Salahiyya.
circa 1193 CE
The main prayer hall of the of al-Khanqah al-Salahiyya Mosque (مسجد الخانقاه الصلاحية). This mosque was the only place in Jerusalem where a Palestinian flag could be seen, it was removed in 2009. Commissioned by Salah ul-Din Ayyubi in 1189 CE. It is also known as the Khilwah (retreat) of Salah al-Din Ayyubi. The Mosque of Omar, located on the other side of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, has an almost identical minaret.
circa 1200 CE
Sheikh Jarrah Mosque (مسجد الشيخ جراح), established by Hussam al-Din al-Jarrahi as a Zawiya, the Zawiya al-Jarrahiyya, a small educational institution for children. After death he was buried on the school grounds, in 1201 a tomb was built for him. This mosque is attributed to a famous leader in the saladin army called al-Hussein Bin Issa al-Jarrah. When he died in 598 Hj., he was buried on the south side of nablus road, and a room was built over his grave.
circa 1213 CE
Originally established during the Memluk era and renovated during Ottoman era the interior of al-Qala'a Mosque (مسجد القلعة) is very simple. It served the Muslim soldiers during the Jordanian Ottoman rule as well. Its name was given it because of its place in the Tower, 'Qalaah' (Arabic). The mosque is in the southern part of the Citadel's eastern barbican. The ditch of the Citadel, along with the battlements placed above its glacis, border this mosque from east, west, and south.
circa 1220 CE
Magharba Mosque (مسجد المغربه), now the Islamic Museum, is situated inside the Moroccans' Gate at Haram al-Sharif> It was recently converted into a in the recent years and no longer functions as a mosque. Now it houses exhibits from different Muslim eras. The building was originally constructed by the Knights Templar, who used it as an annex to their headquarters established at the former al-Aqsa Mosque. Following the Muslim reconquest of Jerusalem, the mosque was restored in 1194 CE.
circa 1400 CE
circa 1487 CE
al-Dissi Mosque (مسجد الديسي), located in the Armernian Quarter, overlooking the former Moroccan Quarter which was demolished by the Israeli occupation forces in 1967 CE. Endowment documents from late 15th century mention the mosque as "Masjid al-Omar" and property was endowed to be used as mosque by Al-Kameli bin Abu Sharif. Mosque covers an area of 60 square meters and the minaret's height is 15 meters, it was renovated by the Islamic Waqf.
circa 1200 CE
al-Maulawiya Mosque (مسجد المولوية), located on the highest point in the old city, is an older mosque transformed by the Crusaders into the Church of St Agnes and turned back into a mosque after their defeat. The only visible feature of the mosque is its Ottoman era minaret, from the Jerusalem rooftops.
circa 1200 CE
Mosque of Ascension at the Mount of Olives. The mosque was built adjacent to the Chapel of Ascension during Ottoman era. According to the Christian tradition it is located on a site, traditionally believed to be the earthly spot where Jesus ascended into Heaven after his resurrection. After the 1187 conquest, Salah ad-Din established the Mount of Olives as a waqf entrusted to two sheikhs, al-Salih Wali al-Din and Abu Hasan al-Hakari. The ocatagonal parameter wall belongs to the Saladin era.
circa 1850 CE
Mosque of Okasha (مسجد عكاشة), also known as the Nebi Akasha Mosque, is a historic mosque located in western Jerusalem. The mosque was built in the 19th century beside the 12th-century tomb of Nebi Ukasha ibn al-Mihsan, one of the disciples of the Prophet Muhammad. According to Islamic tradition, some of Saladin's soldiers were buried at the site. Later on additions were made to the tomb by the Mamluks in the the 13th-century. The mosque is inactive and the Jerusalem Municipality uses it as a warehouse.
circa 1850 CE
Mosque with Red Minaret (مسجد المئذنة الحمراء) also known as Sheikh Rihan Mosque it is located on Hazariyah Ha'adom Street. It is an ancient mosque dating back to the Ottoman era, located in the Muslim Quarter of old city, it was established in 1533 CE. Originally it was known as the "Masjid Sheikh Ali al-Khalouti", now it is known as the Masjid Madhna al-Hamra after the red ribbon around the top of the minaret.
circa 1043 CE
Afghani Mosque also Zawiyat al-Afghani (زاوية الأفغاني), originally built in 1043 CE, Zawiyat al-Afghani is a Waqf (trust) situated in Muslim Quarter of the Old city of Jerusalem in Sultan Barkuka street. A small complex which houses a mosque and a hostel built for dervish pilgrims from Afghanistan. To this day Sufi ceremonies are carried out in it. Bar Cook St.
Masjid Qalawun is an ancient mosque in the old city of Jerusalem, dating back to the Memluk era in Palestine, 1288 CE (686 Hj.). It is located inside the walled city near the New Gate. It is a small mosque, measuring only some forty square meters. It is named after the Memluk Sultan al-Mansur al-Qalawun.
The sign above the entrance to the Yacoubiya mosque (مسجد يعقوبي). Located in a Crusader building dating from the 12th cen CE. Named after Jacob, the Christian Saint executed and dismembered in Persia in 342 CE. It was probably converted in to a mosque after the conquest of Jerusalem by Muslim in 1187 CE.
Masjid Sueka A'alun (مسجد سُويقة علون) or Swaikit 'Allun Mosque is located within the city wall in the Swaikit 'Allun market, which extends from Bab al-Khalid (Jaffa Gate) to the intersection of al-Bazar Market and the Christian Quarter. It dates back to the ottoman period.
Mosque Uthman ibn Affan the third caliph of Rashidun Caliphate, it is situated in the Street of the Butchers.
Masjid Sidna Omar is located next to the Ramban and Hurva synagogues in the Jewish quarter. According to Obadiah ben Abraham Bartenura the mosque was built by Jews who converted to Islam in the first half of the 15th century CE.
Mosque of Dar al-Imam, is located within the north wall of Haram al-Sharif (Temple Mount) near Bab e Attim.
Mosque of Suleyman's throne is most commonly known as the Tomb of Solomon or the Kursi Suleyman, is situated along the eastern wall of Haram al-Sharif. It is also known as the Kursi-i Suleiman (the chair of Solomon) or the foot-stool of Solomon. The building has a large hall divided into different areas, one of which is the prayer area with a mihrab. It is surmounted by two shallow domes. The hall also includes a symbolic tomb which might allude to the tomb of Suleyman or his throne.
circa 1685 CE
Shorbaje mosque (سبيل و مسجد الشوربجي) is situated on the Damascus Road and can be accessed by entering the Old City to the junction of Khan al- Zait, al-Jabsheh, Harat al-Sa’diya, and al-Wad streets. According to the signage above the mosque's façade, the place was founded in 1097 Hj., that is, in 1685, at the end of the 17th century during Ottoman rule. The Sebil-Mosque is named after Abdul-Karim al-Shurbaji, who lived in Jerusalem in eleventh century.
Masjid e abu Bakr al-Siddique, located some 800 meters from Masjid e Aqsa inside the old city. The mosque is believed to have been rebuilt over remains of an older mosque. The ground level of the structure consists of shops to for upkeep of the mosque while the top level is used for prayers. The mosque used to have one minaret that was demolise in 1967 CE.
Built in the sixties, al Adhami Mosque (مسجد الادهمي), is located outside the wall of Jerusalem in the Al-Sahira neighborhood, one of the gates of the main wall of Jerusalem, near the old central bus station. The mosque was formerly a room belonging to Al-Badiri, measuring only 8 meters in width and 10 meters in length.