The Madaba Map (also known as the Madaba Mosaic Map) is part of a floor mosaic in the early Byzantine church of Saint George at Madaba, Jordan. The Madaba Map is a map of the Middle East. Part of it contains the oldest surviving original cartographic depiction of the Holy Land and especially Jerusalem. It dates to the 6th century CE.
|c. 570 CE||The part of map that depicts Jerusalem with the Nea Church, dedicated in CE 542. Buildings erected after 570 are absent from the depiction, thus limiting the date range of its creation to the period between 542 and 570. Landmarks depicted include Cardo, Damascus Gate, Sepulchre, and David's Tower among others.|
|c. 570 CE||The mosaic was rediscovered in 1884, during the construction of the new Greek Orthodox church on the site of its ancient predecessor. Since it's discovery in 1880s large portions have been lost due to fires, activities in the new church and by the effects of moisture.|
|c. 570 CE||In December 1964, the Volkswagen Foundation gave the Deutscher Verein für die Erforschung Palästinas ("German Society for the exploration of Palestine") 90,000 DM to save the mosaic. In 1965, the archaeologists Heinz Cüppers and Herbert Donner undertook the restoration and conservation of the remains.|
|c. 570 CE||The river Jordan, depicting the baptismal location of John at the mouth of the Jordan river with fish swimming in the water and (near-obliterated) lion hunting a gazelle just above it in the Moab desert. The dead sea is also visible partially with one of the two fishing boats, a variety of bridges linking the banks of the Jordan, fish swimming in the river and receding from the Dead Sea.|
|Latest Update: August 5, 2018|