Lahore Fort

Lahore Fort Complex

Date Landscape Notes Reference
c. 1674 CE The Bab e Akbari (Akbari Gate) served as the main entrance to the fort during the Mughal era. It is physically less impressive than the Alamgiri gate which replaced its counterpart at the west side of the fort during the reign of Emperor Aurangzeb. The gate is also known as the Masti (Masjid) Darwaza after the Maryam Zamani Masjid adjacent to the fort.
c. 1674 CE Iconic Bab e Alamgir (Alamgiri Gate) was the only major addition to the fort built by Emperor Aurangzeb. It was likely constructed at the same time as the Badshahi Masjid which it faces. The gate is noted for its heavily fluted bastions crowned with domed pavilions.
c. 1628 CE The Diwan-i Aam (Commonor's Hall) occupies a place of prominence within Lahore fort, sitting immediately to the south of the royal jharoka (royal audience dais) which had been in use since the reign of Jahangir. It was destroyed by cannon fire in 1841 during the succession struggle following the deaths of Kharak Singh and his son Nau Nihal and was reconstructed by the British 1846 CE.
c. 1628 CE The panoramic view of Charbagh of Jahangir (Jahangiri quadrangle), from southwest, located in the northeast corner of the fort, and is the largest quadrangle. The construction started during the Akbar's reign and finished under Jahangir (1617-18 CE).
c. 1617 CE Kala Burj as it stands today substantially differs from its original design as in Shah Jahan was a summer pavilion in the northwest corner of the Khilwat Khana Charbagh. During the Sikh Period (cira 1780 CE) an upper level was added, and the British made numerous alterations including the addition of a liquor bar. The interior frescos dating from the Mughal and Sikh era were also plastered over at this time.
c. 1633 CE The Khilwat Khana Charbagh or the Paien Bagh (Lower Garden) with Khilwat Khana (room of solitude) in the right background and Kala Burj to the left. The Charbagh was constructed as the private residence of Emperor Shah Jahan. The quadrangle was a self-contained world, equipped with a mosque in its southwest corner and rooms for guards and servants along the perimeter, as well as royal baths.
c. 1617 CE The Red Tower (Lal Burj) entrance from the Shah Jahan quadrangle. Octagonal in plan, it was built during the reign of Jahangir and Shah Jahan and it was used as a summer pavilion with its primary windows open to the north.
c. 1617 CE The Maktab Khana, a Persian-style compound with pointed-arch arcades and deep iwans at the center of each of the four sides. It is more likely to be a part of a larger complex serving the emperor as an inscription at the site mentiones the structure as "Daulat Khana e Jahangiri" (residence of emperor Jahangir).
c. 1633 CE Masjid Qila in the southwest corner of the Khilawat Khana courtyard is a small, heavily damaged mosque that originally served the women of Shah Jahan's court. Stripped of its red sandstone and marble veneer and lacking a roof it is almost unrecognizable but for its distinctive orientation toward Mecca and its surviving mihrab (niche) at the center of the west wall. To the south (left) of a the mosque is a small Sikh-era pavilion.
c. 1654 CE Moti Masjid is a relatively small structure located at the western side of the fort. It is built entirely of white marble.
c. 1631 CE Hathi Paer, located at the northwest corner of the fort were designed with extremely wide treads and shallow riser height to allow royal elephants to ascend from ground level to the top of the fort.
c. 1624 CE Deewar e Jahangir (Wall of Jahangir), is the northwest facade of the Qila tiled in nearly 7000 square meters of mosaics depicting hunts and royal recreation, decorated on the orders of Jahangir. Scenes include polo games, animal hunts, and views of trees and vegitation. The mosaics do not form a coherent narrative and the project was completed by Shah Jahan.
c. 1632 CE Shah Burj (Shah Burj quadrangle) stands at the northwest corner of Lahore Fort, built by Shah Jahan and served as the residence of the empress. It is the most preserved part of the fort today. Various pavilions, including the Naulakha run along the western side and north is dominated by the Musamman Burj and Shish Mahal. Beneath the quadrangle is an extensive basement area that served as the empress's summer residence.
Latest Update: December 13, 2016
Top