Hadrian's Arch also known as the Ecce Homo Arch was an impressive triple arched Roman gateway traditionally believed to be the location of Pontius Pilate's Ecce Homo speech, reported by the Bible. The arch was built in the 2nd century CE during the time of Emperor Hadrian, as the entrance gate leading into the Roman Forum (the public square) of Aelia Capitolina.
|c. 150 CE||As it was originally a triumph arch it may have looked something like Arch of Constantine in Rome. Today only the middle large arch is partially visible from the street.|
|c. 150 CE||The reconstruction of the Ecce Homo Arch, the remains of the original arch are shown here in dark bricks. The smaller arch on the left is today a part of Church of Ecce Homo. The right side arch was incorporated into a monastery for Uzbek dervishes in the Order of the Golden Chain, but this was later demolished, taking the arch with it.|
|c. 150 CE||The northernmost small arch integrated in the Basillical of Ecce Homo, originally it would have allowed access in to the forum of Hadrian.|
|c. 150 CE||The reconstruction of the Hadrian's Arch and the surrounding buildings as it might have looked in the year 135 CE. The reconstruction shows the Ecce Homo Arch and the Lithostrotos (gabbatha) which was built over the area where the Struthion Pool was located, Hadrian installed a vaulted ceiling over the pool to allow the construction of his forum plaza.|
|c. 150 CE||Ecce Homo Arch, 1864, Ordnance Survey of Jerusalem, James McDonald.|
|Latest Update: July 08, 2018|