Church of the Pater Noster

  • This article is a stub as it does not provide effective content depth for the core subject discussed herein. We're still working to expand it, if you'd like to help with it you can request expansion. This tag should be removed, once the article satisfies the content depth criteria.
    What is this?

The Church of the Pater Noster is a Roman Catholic church located on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. It is part of a Carmelite monastery, also known as the Sanctuary of the Eleona (French: Domaine de l'Eleona). The Church of the Pater Noster stands right next to the ruins of the 4th-century Byzantine Church of Eleona. The church is located in the At-Tur district of Jerusalem, which has a population of about 18,000 mostly Muslim Arabs, with a Christian minority.

View Site     Home > N/A
View Subject     Home > Middle East > Israel/Palestine > Jerusalem > Mount of Olives > Church of the Pater Noster

Overview

The site was acquired by Princess Aurelia Bossi de la Tour d'Auvergne (1809–1889 CE) in the second half of the 19th century, and a search for the cave mentioned by early pilgrims began. In 1868 CE, she built a cloister and founded a Carmelite convent in 1872 CE. A convent church was erected in the 1870s.

Architecture

circa

Apse and the Altar

circa

Cloister and the Prayer Plaques
The 19th-century cloister is modelled on the Campo Santo at Pisa, Italy. It separates the partly reconstructed Byzantine church, which stands west of it, from he small 19th-century convent church, which stands east of it. The walls of the cloister, of the convent church and the partially reconstructed Eleona church are all used to display plaques that bear the Lord's Prayer in a total of well over 100 different languages and dialects.

circa

Grotto
The grotto where some Christians believe that Jesus revealed to his disciples his prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem and the second coming. Unfortunately, the cave containing the grotto partially collapsed when it was discovered in 1910 CE. It also cuts partly into a 1st-century CE tomb.

Gallery

See Also

References

Top