Bab Anbariya

The Bab Anbariya (باب العنبرية), originally built during the time of Sultan Mahmoud Khan II, it was later renewed during the reign of Sultan Abdul Hamid.

Subject

Home > N/A

circa 1800 CE

Bab Anbariya

Situated south-west of Masjid an-Nabawi, it lead directly to the neighbourhood of Wadi al-Aqiq. It was used as entrance to the city of Medina by the people arriving from the seaport of Jeddah (جدة) and Yanbu (ينبع البحر).

circa 1800 CE

Tariq Bab Anbariya

The Bab Anbariya road, with the Masjid Anbariya (twin minarets) in the background.

circa 1800 CE

Bab Anbariya

The gate was named after the al-Anbariya neighbourhood of Madinah al-Munawarah, which in turn was named after the orchard of a cheiftan in the Ottoman Empire, who donated the part of the land close to the gate for a military academy.

circa 1800 CE

Masjid Anbariya

The Anbariya Mosque (مسجد العنبرية) also known as the Hamidiye Mosque, is also named after the Anbariya Gate, next to which the mosque was located. It was built by the Ottoman Turks in Medina, which is nowadays part of Saudi Arabia. The Masjid al-Anbariya was built as part of the Hejaz Railway project next to al-Muazzim Railway Station, which houses the Hejaz Railway Museum.

circa 1800 CE

Masjid Anbariya

The historic Masjid Anbariya (left), with the Hejaz Railway Station (right).

References

Top
Become a contributor! :)

Like to write, edit or taking pictures?

Or we will appreciate a simple like as well.